Former Pentagon commander warns about war with North Korea
Sheetal Sukhija - Sunday 12th November, 2017
The former Pentagon Commander warned that U.S. forces would be outnumbered in war
He said that U.S. forces would struggle to win a war with North Korea
He expressed his views on a possible conflict with North Korea in a letter to representatives
WASHINGTON, U.S. - With North Korea continuing to threaten the U.S., and the U.S. President Donald Trump warning Pyongyang back, against issuing any further provocation, now a former Pentagon commander has issued a warning.
The retired U.S. general with years of experience in the region has warned that the U.S. would struggle to win if a war broke out with North Korea.
As tensions over the country's nuclear ambitions continue to mount on the Korean peninsula, the retired, Lt. Gen. Jan-Marc Jouas presented his views on a possible conflict with North Korea in a letter to Representatives Ted Lieu (D-CA), Ruben Gallego (D-Arizona), and Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-Illinois).
Jouas, who was the former deputy commander of U.S. Forces Korea, said the near 30,000-strong U.S. forces stationed in the neighboring South would struggle to counter the North Korean Army.
Pyongyang claims the country has almost 5 million people who have volunteered to be part of its army.
He wrote in the letter, “The 28,500 U.S. Armed Forces personnel in South Korea are vastly outnumbered by North Korean forces, as well as ROK (South Korean) forces that will conduct the overwhelming majority of the fighting.”
Jouas further noted that unlike previous conflicts, the U.S. would not be able to build up its forces prior to engagement with the North Koreans, stating that it “will take days to months to arrive in theater [of war].”
The 25 million inhabitants of the South Korean capital, Seoul would be in grave danger from the enemy to the north and that U.S. and allied forces would be “subject to attack by conventional or chemical weapons” which would further delay their entry into the war.
Jouas, who was “deeply involved” with developing plans to counter any potential attacks on South Korea from the North, warned that despite the U.S.’ clear technological advantage, the number of North Korean troops, along with the country’s “artillery, rockets and missiles,” would result in an “enormous casualty and evacuee crisis.”
The official added that the North Korean submarine force, “although technically inferior,” is among the largest in the world and “capable of sinking allied vessels, sowing mines and inserting Special Forces units.”
Further, there’s also the small matter of the country deploying unknown quantities of nuclear weapons against its enemies.
Jouas said that he believes there’s no such thing as a surgical strike designed to knock out North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.
He said that any U.S. attack, “no matter how limited,” would result in a full-scale war.
Adding in the letter, “An attack by the U.S. on North Korea’s strategic nuclear capabilities, which they deem essential to the regime’s survival, would most likely be viewed as an existential threat and generate a corresponding response.”
The former official wrote the letter days after thousands of South Koreans flocked to the streets of Seoul to demand peace with North Korea.
Protesters were revolting against the visit by U.S. President Donald Trump, who previously promised to unleash “fire and fury” against the “rocket man,” Kim Jong Un.
About halfway through Atomic Blonde there is a genuinely stunning action sequence that unfolds in real time in what appears to be a single tracking shot. The protagonist, an MI6 agent named Lorraine Broughton (Charlize Theron) is in Cold War-divided ...